Cut me down and I shall grow again!

I have known a tree for the past few years. I routinely park my scooty under its care. Located next to the super-busy Ghodbunder Road in Thane, it has been quietly witnessing the world pass by.

Once, it was a full-fledged fantastic tree. Not known, who planted it or how it began growing, yet, it stood tall and proud amidst the fast urbanized city.

Then one day, in the dead of a rainy night, some miscreant seemingly chopped it! Yes, completely! Right from the middle of its stem.

The marks of inflicted injury were clear and wide.

Naturally, it fell helplessly.

Sad moment, but unfortunately a practical reality!

A police complain was thus registered in the matter. Cops came and began investigating the case. Their suspicion seemed to build around the possibility that the complainant themselves might have committed the crime.

Nevertheless, in wake of inconclusive evidence, the case must have got lost in the pile of files.

Besides, soon thereafter COVID arrived. The lockdown was placed.

Thereafter, for nearly 2 years, I had to stay away from the tree.

However, once I returned, on the first day itself, even from a distance, I could observe clearly that my silent friend had not vanished, instead had grown up once again.

It didn't have it's original shape, yet, it had grown and was again standing proud. 

Somehow,  on witnessing this development, I felt a huge surge of enthusiasm within. It felt to me as if I am being welcomed back warmly by those waving branches and a few flowers on top reflecting a vibrant, happy smile.

Time began passing once again.

Nothing changed around. The routine of the surroundings remained the same. I would come and park my scooty in its shade, while, the highway behind would keep carrying big traffic and the urban jungle around would continue building itself on its lavish hopes. 

Ah yes, sometime in between, big concrete pillars of metro began showing up in the vicinity as well.

Life was cool again, so I thought at least, until one day, when I arrived at the spot and found hundreds of pieces of broken branches scattered around.

Who did that?

It was the electricity department at work, busy saving the overhead electric line and in process giving our dear friend a trim haircut.

Somethings shall never change!

I knew, I simply had to resign. And so I did, helplessly, while the life began progressing again.

Now, it's July 2022, the monsoon has arrived. However, who may have the time or patience or interest in keeping tab of some menial tree located somewhere in some town?

Well, on this note, screw you the so-called progressive, knowledgable and developing world, because my friend has chosen to grow once again!



The shape it has taken now, is yet different from the two previous ones. 

There is no stem now, instead several firm and strong branches all shooting parallely upwards, as if in a way, making it simpler for the electricity department to give it an annual haircut, while also making it difficult for miscreants to try eliminate it forever. 

This is a simple story that has unfolded in front of me over the years. I am not sure how many in this big articulate world would find it relevant. However, if you do, by any chance, then let me share with you another little secret.

What power, do you think, makes this tree keep growing over and over?

That power presumably lies in its character. Mind you, it is a moringa tree! It's wood is soft and meek. It can't be cut into building strong furniture. Still, every part of it, starting it's root, to bark, to leaves, to flowers and to fruit, has great medicinal properties.

Moringa is a tree that heals.

And it is this natural character of its, which most probably, doesn't let it give-up and instead inspire it to continue to grow, irrespective.




Comments