Support yourself to support your kids

My 15 yr old told me point blank that she doesn't feel interested in studies at all.

Now, what right may I have to protest when I myself carried a similar emotion 35 years back! ๐Ÿ˜

Yet, the child can't be left to mere destiny.

A 12 year old has been displaying hyper anger. Starts using abusive language. One day, in the fit, smashes the expensive smart phone on the floor.

What may parents do now?

A 5 year old is speaking an alien language that parents can't understand. The child seemingly picked it up from videos on YouTube. 

What could be the solution here?

In all such problems adults must remember one thing always that at first you have to support yourself to be able to support the child.

There is no other way out of all such issues.

This is same as what they announce in the airplane - "wear your mask first before helping others."

Yesterday, I came across an excellent scientific research published by UNICEF on a project funded by Fetzer Institute, USA. Click here.

https://fetzer.org/what-makes-me-core-capacities-living-and-learning?utm_source=Social+Media&utm_medium=Twitter+Organic&utm_campaign=CC20

(Research Agency: Learning for Well-being Foundation, Netherlands.)

The report says a child must be helped to develop 9 core capabilities for living and learning.

Further... How parents may support in this objective?

The report says, 3 points clearly:

1. Creating conducive home environment.

2. Core capabilities among parents are transferred to children.

3. Parenting behavior affects the child development.

So... in the nutshell... support yourself to support your child.

Actually, this rule applies universally for every situation.

Moreover, the one who is supporting herself or himself, incessantly, shall be the only one who shall be able to support others. (Ref: BG 6.5 & 6.35)

Let me quote a recent example...

I get a call from a 28 year old who lives in a shared one room apartment, has been working since age of 18 and has some distress situation.

This means, the person has no place to take my online classes. However, has a deep yearning to learn the science of mind control and meditation. 

What do we do now?

He has the will, therefore, I have to show him the way...

Please look at the picture below:



What do you see here?

Yes, a public park. However, barely anyone around. Which is indeed a rare distinction in our 120 million people city of Mumbai and around which sports one of the thickest population densities in the world. 

And yes, it's the rainy season. That means we can't use the lawn. Yet... No issues!

None of this and nothing can stop us from reaching our goal simply because we have the right intentions.



How was I able to work it out quickly?

Simply because, I have practiced this discipline over the decades, stealing my opportunities to learn amidst the endless obstructions, interruptions and challenges of the world, under the able guidance of my distinguished teacher and those are the very values which I now try to pass on to my students who come to learn from me.

Spirituality is a path of practical experience.

You cannot give anything to anyone which you yourself have not experienced and lived.

Therefore, if you want to support others, essentially your children, then simply start walking the road yourself because there is no alternate to this exception.


Email: puneet500@gmail.com 

Comments